In the world of outdoor living design and construction, the popularity of various structures and designs ebbs and flows throughout the years. Keeping abreast of new ideas and trending designs both nationally and locally is a part of what we do as your custom outdoor living builder.
Below are five of the most popular outdoor living trends in Raleigh-Durham this year. Which ones are your favorite?
1. Eze-Breeze Windows – Homeowners can enjoy the best of both worlds by easing the flow between indoor and outdoor spaces. To achieve this effect, Archadeck of Raleigh-Durham clients love to build three-season porches with Eze-Breeze windows. Three-season rooms provide shelter from sun and weather, screens to keep out pesky bugs and pollen, and windows that allow the use of the space for more of the year. Existing screened porches and open porches can be transformed into a three-season room with the addition of Eze-Breeze windows. We can also design and build three-season rooms as new structures. Eze-Breeze windows are the most popular outdoor living feature among our clients in 2019.
2. Multi-Level Decks with Patios – Two and three-level decks are quickly gaining popularity nationally and locally. One benefit of a multi-level structure is that a large deck can be divided into smaller, adjoining areas that can be used for different purposes, such as cooking, dining, or relaxing. A second benefit is that the view from the upper level is unobstructed by the rest of the deck, as the lower levels drop below the sight lines. (This is especially beneficial in a sloping yard.) Adding a patio at the bottom level gives homeowners additional living space as well as a smooth transition to the yard.
3. Rustic Open Porches – The west doesn’t hold a claim on the rustic aesthetic anymore. Rustic open porches are highly popular across the country, including in Raleigh-Durham. A rustic look can be achieved by incorporating stone and wood elements, rough-sawn oversized beams with decorative gable details, stone-wrapped columns, and stacked stone accents in the design. Rustic designs look attractive on many types of structures but are especially popular on open porches.
4. Gray Decks – The gray design trend continues to hold steady and is not just for interiors anymore. Gray has made its way as a favorite color for outside living, keeping gray decking in high demand. Gray decking is subtle and neutral in tone, stays cooler than darker shades, and pairs perfectly with adjacent stone or paver patios. Gray blends seamlessly into natural surroundings and is a tranquil color, transforming your backyard into a luxurious at-home retreat worthy of any staycation.
5. Black Aluminum Railings – Black deck railings have risen in popularity for several reasons. For one, black railings give a fresh, clean look to a deck or porch. They also allow for unobstructed views of the yard, as the black color appears to blend in with the landscape. By minimizing visual distraction, black railings make a deck or porch feel more integrated into the landscape. Black railings can be paired with pressure-treated pine or composite decking, for an attractive mixed-material design that updates the style of any outdoor living space.
Could your Raleigh-Durham or Greater Triangle backyard benefit from the latest trends in outdoor living? Give Archadeck a call to schedule a design consultation and explore what trends would work best for your home: 919-972-1523. We look forward to working with you!